Skip to main content

The 10 Most Fun Video Games Of 2018


Spider-ManCREDIT: ERIK KAIN, MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN
There are a number of highly technical "best-of" lists relating to the top video games of 2018. That's not what this list will be.
I've realized that a game can be great, and I can appreciate it without it being one of my favorites. Some games are flawed, but still more fun than one that is more impeccably made. With that said, the following list counts down the games I had the most fun playing in 2018.
10. Hitman 2
Hitman 2 is one of the most underrated games of the year for me. I've always been a fan of the series, but under new developer IO Interactive, Agent 47's capers have been reinvented enough to add some freshness, but not too much as to make me forget what I liked about the series all these years. It shouldn't be so fun to assassinate people with random objects.

I love the freedom in most of the modes, but it's not so free that I find myself getting sidetracked. Overall, it was just a fun single and multiplayer experience.
9. WWE 2K19
I readily admit WWE 2K needs a new engine. However, WWE 2K19 is the most enjoyable and complete pro wrestling title that 2K has released. My MyCAREER character Dre Day was one of the best wrestlers I've ever created. Leveling him up had rhyme and reason, and the story attached wasn't annoying.
While I really liked the MyCAREER, I'm embarrassed to say the part of the game I enjoyed the most is the Randomizer feature. I'm trapped in a 12-year-old's mindset at times, and that kid loves making jokes about the insane characters that are randomly generated.
8. Madden 19
I saw past some of the A.I. issues with the O-Line and receivers, especially on the sidelines. I also shook off the inexplicable limitations to Connected Franchise. You know why? It's because once you take the virtual field on a 4K monitor with an Xbox One X, the game looks so good, and it plays well enough for me to enjoy my cyber football experience.
With all of the ways EA allows you to play through a CF, I can cram an entire season into a weekend. When I learned we could edit draft classes this year, I screamed, "took you long enough," all the while carving out slots on my busy schedule for Madden time.
7. Marvel's Spider-Man
From this point on, the difference between each game is like a picogram. Thanks to Jon Jones, Jeff Novitsky, and the UFC, I've added that unit of measure to my everyday vocabulary. Marvel's Spider-Man is the best comic book video game I've ever played.
I was completely satisfied with everything about the experience. The cinema scenes, action, visuals, and playability are top notch. It really could have been No. 1 on my list.
6. MLB The Show 18
Year after year, this is the sports game that offers me the most consistent experience, but there is a caveat. I'm almost entirely an offline player with the Show. I spend very little time playing Diamond Dynasty after the first month the game is released. If I kept the experience that focused while playing the other sports games, I'd probably find an elevated level of satisfaction in all of them.
Still, The Show is the truest simulation of a sport on any console. Sorry, Xbox-only guys. This is still a PS4 exclusive. The work of the roster-creation community makes it more fun and adds longevity. I'm playing a new a franchise mode this evening. The game came out 10 months ago, and I can't wait to get started.
In today's gaming world, that's staying power.
5. Red Dead Redemption 2
I know, many people have this No. 1 or 2 on their list. If this was a list made to discuss the most complete and well-executed titles RDR2 would be at the top. As it is, I still loved the game. It's in my Top 5, but the open world was a little intimidating from a time standpoint. Even though it's a long journey, I did enjoy playing what equates to two games in 1 with the story and online options.
4. God of War
As awesome as RDR2's story is, the campaign I was most moved by in 2018 came from God of War. Every last bit of the story is fantastic. The dual gameplay with Kratos and Atreus never got boring. I was hooked after the first epic fight scene with the tatted stranger. Man, was this good.
3. NBA 2K19
No sports game has more layers, and I really love basketball. That said, too often, aspects of the NBA 2K experience don't work. If I stuck to MyGM and MyLeague, this would be my favorite game every year. I'm a franchise-mode guy and no one does it better.
This year, I played more MyCareer, PARK and other modes than normal. Clearly, I still loved NBA 2K19, but there's no question it slipped a bit in my rotation through the year.
2. Call of Duty Black Ops 4
My COD BO4 obsession is pretty simple. I've tried other modes, but I'm absolutely addicted to Free-for-All. People say I should broaden my horizons, but why when I'm having so much fun with the mode I've been playing for years? I use the Titan, with Dual Zoom, Rapid Fire, High Caliber I and II and the Quickdraw attachment. My favorite character is Nomad because I love to sick my dogs on opponents. Sometimes I use Prophet because of the seeker mines.
I'm a Level 55, and I just want to be left alone as I journey toward the next level. If this game had a campaign mode, it'd be No. 1.
1. EA UFC 3
The gameplay isn't very realistic. If fighters took the kind of strikes that you're able to take regularly in this game, the athletes would be cyborgs, and I'm not talking about Cristiane Justino. Still, there is something that overshadows those shortcomings. I had the most fun playing this game of all the ones I've played in 2018.
It's graphically amazing, the combat is intense, and the developers have been updating the game with new content and improved gameplay since it released. It's perfectly imperfect, and I'm cool with that.

Comments